- 1 lb Ground Beef (or 1/2 beef & 1/2 pork)
- 1/2 lb Stewing Beef – Cubed
- 1 Tall Can Tomato Sauce (670ml or 24 fl.oz.)
- 1 Can Stewed Tomatoes (540ml or 19 fl.oz.)
- 1 Can Tomato Paste
- 2 Cans Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Large Onions
- 3 Celery Stalks
- 2 small carrots
- 2 Scotch Bonnet Peppers (optional)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup Chili Powder
- 1/4 cup dried Orgegano
- 2 tbsp Ground Coffee Beans (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Bring your dutch oven to medium-high heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add your ground beef and cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned. Use a wooden spoon to break up the ground beef into fine pieces. Remove and set aside.
- Add your stewing beef and cook on all sides until well browned (Add additional olive oil if required). Remove and set aside.
- Drain your dutch oven, but DO NOT wash it, those crispy bits on the bottom are flavour country!
- Chop your onions, celery, carrots and jalapeno peppers into small pieces. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to the pot, still at medium high. Toss in the vegetables. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add your garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, half of the chili powder, all of the cumin, coffee and oregano. Stir that mixture up, browning the tomato paste.
- Add half of your tomato sauce and scrape all the nice brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Drain your reserved beef of any liquid that came out during cooling, and then add it back to the pot.
- Add the remainder of the tomato sauce, kidney beans (rinsed), and stewed tomatoes. Add the rest of your chili powder and stir thoroughly. Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer on low for at least 2 hours, preferably 3. We want that stewing beef to be really tender. Taste occasionally and add salt and pepper as you see fit.
- That’s it, you’re done!