I’ve been eating this soup since I was a kid, so I suppose part of my love for this soup stems from that taste experience memory thing. Maybe, I dunno. Either way, this stuff is uber cheap to make when zucchini is in season, and it really does taste great. Try adding some chilli flakes to the recipe for a little heat, it really changes the the flavor quite a bit.
- 4 whole Zucchini
- 1/2 large Onion
- 1/2 large carrot
- 1 litre Chicken Stock
- 1 tbps Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Fresh Thyme
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Roughly chop 2 zucchinis, carrot and onion.
- Bring 1 litre of chicken stock to a simmer.
- In another (larger) pot at medium high heat add butter and olive oil.
- Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini and carrot. Cook for an additional 7 – 8 minutes until zucchini just starts to brown.
- Transfer to a blender and add 3 or 3 ladles of stock. Blend until smooth 2 minutes.
- Transfer remain stock to pot you were using to cook vegetables.
- Pour pureed vegetables into stock.
- Grate remaining 2 zucchinis into pot, stir well.
- Add a little thyme, black pepper and salt to taste. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of cream. Cook and additional 5 – 7 minutes.