- 1 lb Stewing Beef
- 1 can Guinness
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- 1 – 2 cups Beef Stock
- 1 Potato
- 2 medium Carrots
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 medium Onion
- 3 Bay Leaves
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Fresh Thyme
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Rough cut onions, carrots, garlic and potatoes.
- Ensure beef is in bite sized chunks.
- Add some olive oil to an oven safe pan at medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add stewing beef, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 5 – 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Basically, try and brown the beef on all sides.
- Add carrots and garlic. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 heaping tablespoons (3/4 of the can) of tomato paste. Stir well and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add 3/4 can of Guinness, using wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil to cook off alcohol.
- Add potatoes, bay leaf, 4 or 5 sprigs of fresh thyme and 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Stir quickly before adding just enough beef stock to barely cover ingredients. Bring back to a boil.
- Cover and place in a pre-heated oven at 300°. Cook for 2 – 2.5 hours until beef is ultra-tender. Add more beef stock (up to 1/2 a cup) after 1.5 hours if necessary.