- 3lbs Stewing Beef (Chuck), cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled
- Bouquet Garni (3 Sprigs Parsley, 2 Sprigs Thyme, 1 Sprig Rosemary, 1 Bay Leaf and 3 – 5 Peppercorns, all bundled together)
- 1bottle good, rich, red Burgundy or California Pinot Noir
- 6oz lean Salted Pork (bacon or pork belly will do), diced
- 1 lb. Button Mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Flour
- Salt and Pepper
- Fry pork in a pot over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Season beef with salt and pepper and add to pot, browning on all sides.
- Sprinkle in flour, and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/3 of the wine to deglaze the pan, ensuring you scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot using a wooden spoon. Flavour country!
- Add onion, carrots, garlic, remaining wine, bouquet garni and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, or cook in oven at 250 for about 3 hour, until meat is tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove bouquet garni before serving.